If you are lucky enough to have a son who loves broccoli this recipe is just the one for you. I got it off the Tasty app, but i made my own version of it and it got gobbled up in minutes.
Aiden is one of those few kids who likes raw or near raw vegetables. Which i of course hate. Aiden loved this dish and is good for kids who don’t quite like spice. I also added some pesto to this…well because i like pesto and it adds a bit of colour and character to the dish.
The actual recipe with step-by-step instructions can be found here
Ingredients (I edited some of them to suit Aiden and me)
for 1 serving
- salt, to taste
- Penne pasta
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- Garlic butter
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- pepper, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups of whole milk
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- red chilly flake, to garnish
- 1 tbsp of pesto
- Bring 1 lt of water in a large pot to a boil over high heat, and salt to taste. Add a little olive oil to it so when you cook pasta in it
- Cook pasta for 8 minutes, or until slightly underdone.
- Add broccoli to pasta and simmer for 4 minutes with the lid on.
- Strain the pasta and broccoli. Run cold water over to prevent the broccoli from over cooking and to retain a bit of crunch.
- Heat the olive oil in the pot over medium-high heat, and add the chicken. Season the chicken with season salt and pepper.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the pot and set aside.
- Add garlic butter to the pot, and melt it. Once butter is fully melted, add in garlic and stir continuously for 10 seconds.
- Add whole milk salt, pepper, pesto and nutmeg. Stir often, and cook until sauce starts to bubble slightly.
- Once the sauce is bubbling and begins to cook down, add in Parmesan cheese and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Add in the cooked chicken, pasta, and broccoli, and stir until fully combined.
- Top with Parmesan cheese or red chili flakes