This is a typical Indian recipe of shrimps or jawala stuffed into brinjals. It is an interesting dish prepared by the Warli community in Maharashtra. These shrimps can be bought during the summer and stored for the monsoons to fulfill your seafood cravings. With a coconut-y texture and tangy taste, brinjals stuffed with shrimp is a unique must-try!
I discuss recipes with almost everyone. My maid, who is from the Warli community in Maharashtra, often shares interesting recipes. Last weekend, she mentioned that she likes makingjawala for her children. Jawala is basmati-sized shrimp; really small and tiny variety that’s available in the fish market. She buys about a kilo to store for the rains. And she stuffs almost any kind of vegetable with it.
I had brinjal with me and she said she stuffs them with jawalatoo. Here is my maid’s recipe on brinjals stuffed with jawala.
For the jawala:
250 gms jawala (sieve well and manually cleaned)
1 small-sized onion, finely chopped
250 gms freshly grated coconut (approx)
Tamarind water as per taste
½ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp coconut oil
Salt as per taste (most preserved fish have salt so use discretion while using the salt)
For the brinjals:
500 gms freshly grated coconut
4 red chillies
2 tsp coriander seeds
¼ tsp methi (fenugreek seeds)
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp cooking oil
250 ml water
- Add coconut oil to the pan on a medium flame and stir fry the jawala till they are crisp. Wait for the aroma to exude and keep aside.
- Mix the onion, red chilli powder, tamarind water and salt as per your taste in a bowl – crush them together using your hand.
- Simultaneously, get the brinjals ready. Slit the brinjals in the middle.
- Add the coconut the stir fried dried fish to the crushed mix in the bowl. Mix well using coconut oil and keep aside. Let’s called this the jawala mix.
- Grind the masala for the brinjals (coconut, chillies, coriander, methi, turmeric) and keep aside. Add the jawala mix to this and mix well using spoon or a spatula
- Stuff this into the slit brinjals and keep aside.
- Take chopped onions in a vessel with cooking oil and sauté them till they go golden brown.
- Add the stuff brinjals to this, add a little water and allow to cook till they are soft.
- Serve the brinjals stuffed with shrimp with chapatti or rice and daal.