Preparing beef for that perfectly tender texture is an art that every meat-loving chef tries to master. This rough and stringy meat, although very popular, can be hard to digest. Therefore, one needs an elaborate process to soften the meat. But, some recipes work like magic to make even the toughest of ingredients palatable. This step-by-step guide to make beef chilly, arms you with the trick to tenderise the meat and make it succulent. Savour it as an appetiser or pack it for lunch with some rotis to make a full-fledged meal.
Sometimes, my husband lovingly prepares the only beef dish I really enjoy. It is a special dish he whips up during the holidays or when we have guests, because he finds it very hard to make it in small quantities. Here’s the recipe of beef chilly fry that is sure to make you lick your fingers and smack your lips.
Beef Chilly Fry: Serves 4
½ kilo of undercut beef
4 medium-sized onion, sliced
1 medium-sized tomato, finely chopped
3 medium-sized potatoes, chopped into medium pieces
2 green chillies slit
2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp of garam masala
1 tsp of turmeric
2 tsp of coriander seeds
2 tsp of cumin seeds
1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste
2 sprigs of coriander leaves
2 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
1. Wash thoroughly and cut the beef into bite-sized pieces.
2. Marinate the beef with ginger garlic paste, chilli powder, coriander powder and jeera powder for about four hours.
1. Pressure cook the marinated beef with coriander seeds, jeera and salt. Leave it to cook for 35 minutes till the beef is tender.
2. In a separate pan, add two tbsp oil. Fry the onions till golden brown on a low flame. To this add the ginger garlic paste and tomatoes. Add the green chillies, one tsp of chilli powder, one tsp garam masala and one tsp of turmeric.
3. To this add the potatoes. Fry the masalas in the pan till water escapes from the tomatoes. Add a cup of beef stock from the pressure cooker.
4. When the potatoes are cooked and the water reduces, add the beef from the pressure cooker to this mixture.
5. Allow the mixture to boil till the water dries up completely in the pan. Stir occasionally so that the meat doesn’t stick to the pan
6. Garnish the beef with fresh cut coriander leaves
7. Serve hot with bread or chapattis.