Feeding a cold is what the doctors suggest when you are down with the sniffles. My mum’s chicken soup was the answer to all colds and coughs in our home. The hearty chicken soup not only took care of the cold but also lifted my spirits. I sometimes look forward to a cold to have this soup, or treat myself to it when I am feeling a little low.
The soup is pretty basic and really doesn’t require too much time to prepare, but every time I make it in the style my mum makes, it brings back memories in a flash. Very high in protein content, it is probably what I’d like to call “Chicken soup for the soul”.
Here is my mum’s home-style chicken soup.
¼ kilo chicken (with bones)
3 cups of water
1 medium –sized onion, minced
1 tsp of pepper
2 Maggi chicken cubes
4 tbsp milk
3 tsp rice flour
- Boil the chicken with the minced onion and pepper.
- Shred the chicken and keep aside.
- Extract the stock and discard the onion and pepper.
- Beat the egg and keep aside.
- Take the chicken stock in a vessel. Add two chicken cubes and milk.
- Bring this to a boil while stirring to dissolve the chicken cubes.
- Mix the rice flour with milk and pour this into the boiling chicken stock, stirring constantly.
- Now add the beaten egg into the stock while constantly beating the stock with a fork.
- Add the shredded chicken into the stock and bring the soup to a boil.
- Serve the soup with soya sauce or hot and sweet sauce, and garlic bread.